Bookkeeper and Business Manager
Job Description: Under the direction of Interfaith Social Services’ Executive Director the Bookkeeper/Business Manager is responsible for general bookkeeping and some office management. Bookkeeping responsibilities include: general nonprofit accounting and retail bookkeeping for our thrift shop. Office management and logistical responsibilities include: scheduling building maintenance, ordering office supplies, etc.
- Ensure that accounts payable are processed in a timely manner
- Ensure that accounts receivable are dutifully tracked, followed up on and paid
- Balance and reconcile all accounts, make daily entries and regular deposits
- Ensure that staff and volunteers are trained on cash handling procedures
- Provide monthly financial reports to the Executive Director
- Coordinate with the Finance Committee and Treasurer regarding investments and other financial decisions
- Work with the organization’s accountant to oversee an annual audit of the organization’s finances
- Reconcile the Business office’s figures with the Development office
- Oversee the organization’s payroll and employee benefits
- Point person for facility and equipment emergencies
- Order all office supplies
- Supervise the execution of all contracts and track which are nearing renewal
- 3-5 years of nonprofit bookkeeping experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, or equivalent business experience
- Experience with bookkeeping and knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Preferred but not required: working knowledge of the Sage accounting software package
- Preferred but not required: retail bookkeeping experience
- Experience using technology to increase efficiencies
- A passion for social justice and service to others via a grassroots nonprofit organization
Type of position: Full time, 35 hours per week, some evening and weekend hours are required a few times a year.
Benefits include: 13 paid holidays, paid vacation, sick time, employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan, access to an employer sponsored health and dental insurance plan.
Application: Interested applicants may send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title which you are applying for in the subject field of the email.
*Please note, due to the current public health emergency employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work at Interfaith Social Services' offices. Exceptions will be made for individuals who have medical verification as to why they can not receive the vaccine.
Interfaith Social Services
Founded in 1947, Interfaith Social Services provides our community with the resources needed to sustain a healthy and fulfilling life; we are dedicated to alleviating hunger, providing mental health counseling, and preventing homelessness. Interfaith’s food pantry is one of the largest in Greater Boston distributing over 600,000 meals to hungry local residents every year. www.InterfaithSocialServices.org.